[paranoia] Sporadic Hangs using Cdparanoia

Jonathan Irwin jmi at home.cam.net.uk
Tue Feb 1 09:46:13 PST 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Cuihtlauac ALVARADO wrote:

> When I rip audio cd with cdparanoia, sometimes (in fact very often, nearly
> every time, but never at the same frame in the audio cd), I get scsi
> transport timeouts (from cdparanoia & kernell - read & write) then the
> systems hangs. Found nothing, but physical reset, to escape.
>
> Hangs are very random. Sometimes nothing happens every thing is just fine,
> sometimes I can interupt while the firsts messages appears, sometines
> nothing helps :-(
>
> Yesterday, for the 1st time, I got the same result using Douglas Gilbert's
> utilities & test programs for sg.
>
> Incidentaly I'm a bit afraid of doing a lot of experimentations because of
> the increasing number of fsck's I'm generating. My 2 disks are all
> SCSI. At least if someone could give advice for a bug-hunting/reset-safe
> config of my system I would greatly appreciate.

I had a strange problem where the system kept crashing while trying to
access my SCSI bus, and it was a bent pin on one of the connectors.  I
know this is obvious but have you checked for this / unplugged + plugged
them all?  I have also heard that some Adaptec cards can be a little fussy
about impedances and termination as well - how are you terminating the
buses: using jumpers on the devices, or plug in terminators?

If you are worried about fsck's then you might try booting off a boot
disk, and then running cdparanoia with the data output redirected to
/dev/null (there won't be enough space for the output file otherwise).

Also - what CD device are you using?  Have you tried using the other CD
device and does it still crash using this?

Jonathan