[paranoia] Sporadic Hangs using Cdparanoia

Cuihtlauac ALVARADO alvaracu at cnet.francetelecom.fr
Tue Feb 1 02:06:05 PST 2000

Hello, sorry for the cross-posting, I don't know exactly which is the
right mailing list where I should post. Don't know exactly where my
problem comes from (relevant to comp.periphs.scsi ?)

What happens:

When I rip audio cd with cdparanoia, sometimes (in fact very often, nearly
every time, but never at the same frame in the audio cd), I get scsi
transport timeouts (from cdparanoia & kernell - read & write) then the
systems hangs. Found nothing, but physical reset, to escape.

Hangs are very random. Sometimes nothing happens every thing is just fine,
sometimes I can interupt while the firsts messages appears, sometines
nothing helps :-(

Yesterday, for the 1st time, I got the same result using Douglas Gilbert's
utilities & test programs for sg.

Incidentaly I'm a bit afraid of doing a lot of experimentations because of
the increasing number of fsck's I'm generating. My 2 disks are all
SCSI. At least if someone could give advice for a bug-hunting/reset-safe
config of my system I would greatly appreciate.

Software:

OS: Red Hat Linux 6.1

I've tried with updated versions of cdparanoia (III 9.7) and linux
kernel (2.2.14). Same problem.

Hardware:

Motherboard: EPoX EP-MVP3G-M
CPU: AMD K6-2, 350 MHz (not overclocked)
RAM: 128 MB
Video: Matrox G200, AGP
Sound: Sound Blaster 128, PCI
Radio: Cadet Data Radio, ISA
SCSI Subsystem:
  ID 0: Toshiba XM6401B, cdrom (narrow, terminated)
  ID 1: Yamaha CRW4416S, cdwriter (narrow)
  ID 6: IBM DDRS34560, 4.5 GB hard drive (LVD, terminated)
  ID 7: Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, host adapter (automatic termination)
  ID 8: IBM DFHS S4W, 4.3 GB hard drive (wide, terminated)

As you might have understood all three internal (LVD, Wide and
Narrow) connectors of the 2940 are used (docs says its possible).
Termination are enabled where required by the 2940's docs.

--
Cuihtlauac ALVARADO
France Telecom - Branche Developpement - Cnet - DTL/MSV/MFL