[paranoia] Ripping With Multiple Drives

Nathan Heagy nathan at shell.vividworks.com
Tue Sep 21 10:17:20 PDT 1999

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Peter Teichman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 10:09:10AM -0600, Nathan Heagy wrote:

> Make sure you have enough disk bandwidth - it could be a serious
> bottleneck when ripping a lot of tracks at once.

I think that there is enough - especially with SCSI running most of it.

> Yes, I'm doing this with a perl script I threw together. I spawn
> cdparanoia processes with:
>
>   $record_pid =
>       open(RECORD,
>           "cdparanoia -d /dev/scd0 $last $last.wav &>/dev/null |");

This sounds good. I think I could definetly modify this to make a pid for
each seperate track.

> This is a Linux-specific solution.

Not a problem. That's what I'm using.

> This feels like a fairly nasty way to do it, but it works. I can send
> you my script if you'd like - I think it might have some useful code
> for you. It rips and encodes a full disc, allowing for two encoding
> processes at once (this runs on an SMP box).

Yes, I'm very interested to see your code. Thanks, It already sounds very
useful.

-  Nathan Heagy  -
- -[ eAndroid ]- - -[vividworks.com]- -[heagy.com]-