[paranoia] Ripping With Multiple Drives

Peter Teichman pat4 at acpub.duke.edu
Tue Sep 21 09:27:56 PDT 1999

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 10:09:10AM -0600, Nathan Heagy wrote:
> I am trying to setup a dedicated cd ripping machine that will have 3-7
> SCSI CD drives. The computer will be a pentium 2 233 that will do nothing
> but rip the tracks, and the files will be picked up by other networked
> computers for some sort of distributed encoding (this is to be worked out
> later).

Make sure you have enough disk bandwidth - it could be a serious
bottleneck when ripping a lot of tracks at once.

> I will be writing a very simple perl script that launches a seperate
> instance of cd paranoia for each track. I will try to have this
> queued by perl itself (any suggestions on how to know when the
> ripping on one drive is done?).

Yes, I'm doing this with a perl script I threw together. I spawn
cdparanoia processes with:

  $record_pid =
      open(RECORD,
          "cdparanoia -d /dev/scd0 $last $last.wav &>/dev/null |");

Set up a handler for SIGCHLD - that will be called when that child
process dies. I'm spawning multiple other processes from this script,
so I check that /proc/$record_pid/exe doesn't exist anymore.. At that
point, I know the cdparanoia process has exited.

This is a Linux-specific solution.

This feels like a fairly nasty way to do it, but it works. I can send
you my script if you'd like - I think it might have some useful code
for you. It rips and encodes a full disc, allowing for two encoding
processes at once (this runs on an SMP box).

Peter