[paranoia] Newbie User - Can't read CD

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Sep 14 00:33:41 PDT 1999

> I can read from an iso9660 cd so I believe that I have ide-scsi emulation
> correctly installed.

Yes.  Cdparanoia would have told you if there was generic SCSI trouble.  The
below proves you have it set up correctly.

> Here is the output from -vQ
[...]

Neat!  You really do have a drive for which cdparanoia doesn't know (and can't
find) the command set, yet the drive is CDDA capable.  This is the first
documented example in nearly ten months :-)

Does the windows utility happen to mention what packet command it's using to
read from the drive?  I can make a bunch more educated guesses if you're
willing to try them.  It's also possible that the autoprobe is confusing the
drive such that the working command follows a probe that puts the CDROM into a
funky state.

> Checking for MMC style command set...
>  Drive is MMC, but reports CDDA incapable.

Uh... hmm.  The drive claims it can't do esxtraction.  A windows utility
actually manages it?  Or is it just setting the drive to play back the audio
and then resampling the analog using a sound card?  (I'm not trying to pooh on
the utility that works, just trying to make sure we know what it's doing
before heading off on any wild goose chases.)

Monty