[paranoia] ripping from a diamond data drive.

Jake Hawkes jake at eclectic.com.au
Sun Oct 24 18:17:53 PDT 1999

firstly, this is a drive dependant thing, but I thought people may know
something about this....

*any* ripping program will not rip at full speed from my Diamond Data
24x rom drive *unless* I have *just* closed the drive.

i.e, if I put in a cd, wait a bit untill the drive stops spinning (after
the initial spin up) then start ripping, it rips very slowly.

if I however close the drive, and rip straight away I get 15x ripping.
I've tried issuing a full driver reset, but that actually made the drive
spin down and so didn't help.

any ideas?

I have heard of the technique of starting the drive playting in audio
mode, then ripping (or something) to get around this problem (or at
least a similar problem...)

--
Jake Hawkes, B. Eng (CSE)

e-mail: jake at eclectic.com.au