[paranoia] can't rip from CDROM as user

Christopher Fonnesbeck chrisf at fonnesbeck.net
Tue Oct 26 22:33:20 PDT 1999

Sorry to bother you with this, but I couldnt find the answer to my
problem from the docs.  I am trying to use cdparanoia to rip files as a
user, rather than root.  Cdparanoia claims that /dev/cdrom exists but
isnt accessible.  However, all the permissions seem to be in order for
the device.  /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to /dev/scd0, which
represents my IDE CD-ROM running under SCSI emulation.  I am able to
read files from the drive, burn images onto it (it is a HP 8100 RW), and
play music files, but ripping is a no-go.  For what its worth, here's
the error message:

/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
Consider using -s to force a more complete autosense
of the machine.

More information about /dev/cdrom:
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
 Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
  /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
 Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
  No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

I hope the answer is foolishly trivial!

Thanks, Chris Fonnesbeck