[paranoia] Not A Bug

Thomas J. Baker tjb at BakerConsulting.com
Sat Oct 23 07:40:40 PDT 1999

Hello,

Would it be possible to add (or is there already a way) to specify
negative offsets in the spanning syntax?  The issue is this:  alot of the
time when ripping individual tracks from a CD, cdparanoia seems to miss
the opening fractions of a song.  When playing the CD with a cd player,
the song index seems to be correct, i.e., when I go to song 4, it starts
without missing those opening fractions.  When I rip the song with
paranoia, the beginning fractions are missing when playing the resulting
wav file.  A way to combat this would be to be able to specify something
like 'cdparanoia "4:[-::5]-5:[::5]"', which would rip from 5 seconds
before track 4 starts to 5 seconds after track 4 ends.  Relative offsets
would be alot easier than figuring out how long track 3 is and subtracting
5 seconds etc.

Is this resonable to do?  An example CD would be the soundtrack to "The
Crow", where the NIN "Dead Souls" song #4 has this exact problem, at least
on my "TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6202BD".

tjb