[paranoia] Ripped wav is choppy - SOLVED!

John LeMay jlemay at njmc.com
Thu Oct 21 18:06:48 PDT 1999

Monty wrote:

> > I'm going to check on the IRQ thing - 5 should be free. Anyway, that's
> > most likely not a problem. Anyway, and ideas what I would need to do to
> > enable me to playback these high-end wav's?
>
> Yeah, get the IRQ working (you have to have it to play back; this is how the
> sound card tells the machine 'send me more audio').  Then things should be
> fine.

Swapped back to IRQ7 and all is good. I switched from 7 to 5 because I'm
sort of "old school" in believing that 7 belongs to good old "lpt1:". Of
course now that I switched it back a quick cat of /proc/interrupts shows
that nothing is using IRQ5! Don't ask me what the conflict was!

The most confusing part of this was that the sound was working fine in
stuff like xmms and xplaycd and mpg123...

> > Were you referring to splay here?
>
> Sorry, no, cdparanoia.  But since cdparaonia is not the problem, you can choose
> at greater liesure whether you want to upgrade or not :-)
>
> Monty

Caught this after I sent it - I had two vers of cdparanoia here for some
reason. One was the latest.

Thanks for all the tips and the quick responses - I'm now happily
ripping my collection of CD's for easy access!

--
John J. LeMay Jr.
NJMC, LLC.