[paranoia] Ripped wav is choppy

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Oct 21 17:03:51 PDT 1999

> Checked this out - turns out it IS the machine. Also noted that I forgot
> to mention that I have a SB AWE64 PnP installed here. Looking at the
> following from dmesg I'd guess it's not functioning as well as it could:
>
> Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
> SB 4.16 detected OK (240)
> sb: Interrupt test on IRQ5 failed - Probable IRQ conflict
> AWE32: not detected

...or that the driver believes the card is on IRQ 5 and it isn't. Could
plug-N-play(-or-maybe-not) be confusing the issue?

> I'm going to check on the IRQ thing - 5 should be free. Anyway, that's
> most likely not a problem. Anyway, and ideas what I would need to do to
> enable me to playback these high-end wav's?

Yeah, get the IRQ working (you have to have it to play back; this is how the
sound card tells the machine 'send me more audio').  Then things should be
fine.

> > > Mandrake 6.0 base w/ kernel 2.2.12
> > > splay 0.8.2 (to test the wav)
> > > cdparanoia III pre5 5 April 98
> >
> > That's an exceedingly old version.  Please get the most recent snapshot (9.6).
> Were you referring to splay here?

Sorry, no, cdparanoia.  But since cdparaonia is not the problem, you can choose
at greater liesure whether you want to upgrade or not :-)

Monty