[paranoia] ATAPI-SCSI-Emulation

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Oct 13 00:19:02 PDT 1999

> On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 08:32:51AM +0200, Friedrich Schunn wrote:
> >
> > Is this ATAPI-SCSI-Emulation a COMPLETE replacement for ATAPI-Support?
> > I mean can ALL the features of the CDROM be used with that emulation
> > or do I have to build two kernels, one with ATAPI support for normal
> > use of the ATAPI-CDROM and one for using it with 'cdparanoia'?

'Emulation' is full featured.  Software will not realize it isn't a regular
SCSI drive.

> > How reliable is ATAPI-SCSI-Emulation, is it as good as the direct
> > ATAPI-Support?

It's more reliable than ATAPI support.

> afaik, cdparanoia does not need this stuff, it is intelligent enough
> to conversate _directly_ with the atapi drive....

Actually, with the ATAPI driver, Linux will not allow cdparanoia to talk
directly to the drive; it has to submit high level requests to the kernel and
the kernel decides how to proceed.  It's with 'emulation' that cdparanoia can
be more intelligent and speak raw packet commands directly to the drive.

(See, and ATAPI drive *is* a SCSI drive that simply uses a different
wire-level protocol.  ATAPI is effectively 'SCSI over IDE wires'.)

Monty