[paranoia] TEAC is slow ripping (I looked at the FAQ)

Left Hand of Xenu bscott at ip8.usw1.rb1.pdx.nwlink.com
Thu Oct 14 15:30:58 PDT 1999

I am using a Teac 32X SCSI drive to rip audio with paranoia but it is
really slow. I get a speed of about 2X from the drive. It reports no
errors and I see nothing unusual in the syslog either. The machine is
a 400MHz AMD k6-III and the CPU useage is quite low. I have the drive
connected to a Tekram 390F and it detects the drive and reports it to
be 10MB/sec synchronous.

This is the program output:

cdparanoia III release 9.6 (August 17, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/sg0
                ioctl device: /dev/scd0
                CDROM sensed: TEAC CD-ROM CD-532S 1.0A

Checking for SCSI emulation and transport revision...
        Drive is SCSI

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive does not have MMC CDDA support
Verifying CDDA command set...
        Expected command set reads OK.
This command set may use a Force Unit Access bit.
Checking drive for FUA bit support...
        Drive accepted FUA bit.

Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        New style SG with scatter/gather memory management
        DMA scatter/gather table entries: 127
        table entry size: 32768 bytes
        maximum theoretical transfer: 1769 sectors
        Setting default read size to 13 sectors (30576 bytes).

Attempting to determine drive endianness from data.......
        Data appears to be coming back little endian.
        certainty: 100%

One thing I find odd is that it says I don't have MMC but this is what
dmesg says:

csi0 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2

csi : 1 host.
  Vendor: TEAC      Model: CD-ROM CD-532S    Rev: 1.0A
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

  Vendor: Seagate   Model: STT8000N          Rev: 3.22
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-R   CW-7502    Rev: 4.17
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

csi : detected 1 SCSI tape total.

********  proc lists this:  ************

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-ROM CD-532S   Rev: 1.0A
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Seagate  Model: STT8000N         Rev: 3.22
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00