[paranoia] BUG in the Teac CD-532E-B CD-ROM drive

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 15 12:11:42 PST 1999

> I have a TEAC CD-532E-B ATAPI CD-ROM drive. This drive sometimes returns
> wrong data. Happens when the CD is dirty or scrathed. A normal read-error,
> only that the drive delivers bad data as good, that is it doesn't report
> any error. The OS thinks everything is all right.

Not surprising. A large number of drives do not bother to return errors.

> Happen with Audio CDs ( Red book ).
>
> It sounds like a silence in the resulting file, normally around one
> second long.
>
> Here is an analisys of the problematic segment with 3 rips of the
> same track done with cdda2wav under linux.
>
> silence is a constant value ( not zero ! )
> different for left and right

A simple way to fill in the gap is to hold the last known good value.  The
*drive* knows it has a problem....

> P.S.: Is there some "Broken Hardware" web-site , where I can also
> submit these foundings ?

None that I'm aware of; at least, none that seems to take any great care about
accuracy.  I can't offer to do it myself; I'm already stretched too thin to
handle another project (sorry)-:

Anyone else who wants to do it has my full support tho :-)

Monty