[paranoia] problem ripping audio cd's with my A-OPEN cdrom drive

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 8 16:52:05 PST 1999

> I am using a A-OPEN 36x IDE-ATAPI cdrom drive. I am also using scsi
> emulation and I am using cdparanoia 9.6.
>
> My problem ios that of the end of every track I rip there is a loud
> noisy click in the second before the last second of the ripped track.

Interesting.  Are these commerical discs or track-at-once home burns? (Just
checking.  I'll assume commercial).

> I am able to make the click dissapear to give the option -o and a number.
> However then one of 3 things happen depending of the value of -0
>
> 1. The click still exist it just shifts a bit in time.
> 2. The click goed away but now I hear a second of the next track at the
> end of the track
> 3. The track is allright but cdparanoia gives me a :P smiley and does not
> go on with the next track :(
>
> Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

Could you send me (monty at xiph.org, not the list) a bit of WAV file with this
problem?  Just chop off the end of a file that has the problem, I can deal with
the raw PCM.

> My brother who has a 40x A-OPEN has the same problem. A friend with an
> ASUS cdrom does not have this problem. Do I need to buy an ASUS or is
> there any hope for me and my brother?

There's hope, at least for now :-)  It's not a bug I've heard of previously in
any AOPEN drives.

Monty