[paranoia] ripping from a diamond data drive.

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 8 16:55:47 PST 1999

> *any* ripping program will not rip at full speed from my Diamond Data
> 24x rom drive *unless* I have *just* closed the drive.
>
> i.e, if I put in a cd, wait a bit untill the drive stops spinning (after
> the initial spin up) then start ripping, it rips very slowly.
>
> if I however close the drive, and rip straight away I get 15x ripping.
> I've tried issuing a full driver reset, but that actually made the drive
> spin down and so didn't help.
>
> any ideas?

Neat bug.  I'll guess that if Diamond cares abbout support at all there's a
firmware update somewhere.

> I have heard of the technique of starting the drive playting in audio
> mode, then ripping (or something) to get around this problem (or at
> least a similar problem...)

The cdparanoia in CVS has a -S option to set speed on ATAPI drives (well, some
ATAPI drives).  9.6 has this option, but it turned out to be broken (I didn't
check the patch carefully enough before adding it).

Speed control will be an integrated, supported feature someday, but not yet.

Monty