[paranoia] Generic SCSI interface questions

Cuihtlauac ALVARADO - FT.BD/CNET/DTL/MSV Cuihtlauac.Alvarado at cnet.francetelecom.fr
Wed Dec 22 06:18:39 PST 1999

I hope my questions won't be too naive, I've read the docs, but it's not so
clear.

Why cdparanoia does need to use the generic SCSI interface ? Precicely I don't
understand why the cdrom has to be considered as a generic SCSI device when
ripping audio data.

Incidentaly, I always use cdparanoia as root (under Red Hat 6.1), because of the
permisions of the /dev/sg* family. I don't like to be root for such task (maybe
I'm wrong ?). Changing theses devices parmissions doesn't seem to be a good
idea. Is there any other workaround ?

--
Cuihtlauac ALVARADO
France Telecom - Branche Developpement - Cnet - DTL/MSV/MFL