[paranoia] Best Drives for Ripping?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Dec 6 19:07:07 PST 1999

> > I like Plextor.  If not for the solid drives, reliable firmware and a
> general
> > dedication to fixing bugs they find, then for the customer support.  These
> are
> > the drives that companies use to rip hundreds of thousands of discs.
>
> I have a PlexWriter 8/20 and I love it.  My only complaint would be that I've
> found about 5 audio CDs, out of about 200 I've tried, that the drive would
> absolutely *refuse* to read.  In the sense that, when I put the CD in, one of
> the drive LEDs would flash and the drive would return a "Servo Tracking
> Error" to software.

Could you send me the SCSI transport error returned when using cdparanoia -v on
such a disc (if you can)?  I may know what they're talking about.

> I emailed tech support and they came back with some crap
> about how their drives "burn cds to exacting standards, so they need to
> reject substandard audio CDs."

Actually, this is a conscious decision on their part, and they're right.
However, at least the ultraplex40 (as of firmware 1.02) will read around the
trouble (returning errors, of course, but still going) and the upcoming 9.7
should deal gracefully with these errors.

> We're talking about massmarket CDs pressed by Nothing/Interscope here, with
> nary a scratch.

Yes, I've witnessed many broken commercial discs.

>So how about that Paranoia IV? :)

Vorbis continues to eat all my hacking time for now.  Sorry :-(

Monty