[paranoia] Sector Offset Option Patch (for 9.6)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Dec 6 18:54:10 PST 1999

>     I did this because I have a 6X TOSHIBA XM-5502TA (reported as
>     XM5522B) ATAPI drive that seems to have an off-by-32-sectors error
>     when I run cdparanoia: it will miss the first thirty-two sectors
>     of each track and tack the first thirty-sectors of the next track
>     onto the end.  I hear that this seems to be a consistent behaviour
>     that happens with many Toshiba drives.

'Off-by-32', or 'off-by amount reported as beginning of track 1, which is often
32 but not always'?  In any case, I'll have an offset option similar to the
patch in 9.7 so that folks can get the correct results by hand until I figure
out how to do it magically.

>2.  Oddly enough, my drive is now flaking out; could this have been
>    the result of me fiddling around?  If that's the case then try (or
>    if you're Monty, and I've already emailed you about this,
>    incorporate) this patch at your own risk.  :/

Naw, cdrom drives are grotesque mechanical hacks; I find it fascinating they
ever work at all :-)  It likely just wore out prematurely (which ironically
enough is kind-of odd for Toshibas; they tend to be fairly bulletproof, at
least mechanically).

Monty