[paranoia] Best Drives for Ripping?

bbyer at rice.edu bbyer at rice.edu
Mon Dec 6 18:53:56 PST 1999

In message <19991207025055.4BA3A8882C at bloopfish.xiph.org>
 paranoia at xiph.org writes:
> I like Plextor.  If not for the solid drives, reliable firmware and a
general
> dedication to fixing bugs they find, then for the customer support.  These
are
> the drives that companies use to rip hundreds of thousands of discs.

I have a PlexWriter 8/20 and I love it.  My only complaint would be that I've
found about 5 audio CDs, out of about 200 I've tried, that the drive would
absolutely *refuse* to read.  In the sense that, when I put the CD in, one of
the drive LEDs would flash and the drive would return a "Servo Tracking
Error" to software.  I emailed tech support and they came back with some crap
about how their drives "burn cds to exacting standards, so they need to
reject substandard audio CDs."

We're talking about massmarket CDs pressed by Nothing/Interscope here, with
nary a scratch.

*sigh*

So how about that Paranoia IV? :)

Ben