[paranoia] Best Drives for Ripping?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Dec 6 18:50:54 PST 1999

> I haven't seen this question posted in the paranoia list archive so
> I'll post it here.
>
> I'm probably going to get in the market for a CD-ROM drive if my
> 3.5-year-old Toshiba XM5522B continues to flake out.
>
> Can anyone shed some light as to what drives (or drive brands in
> general) are good and/or bad for ripping?

I like Plextor.  If not for the solid drives, reliable firmware and a general
dedication to fixing bugs they find, then for the customer support.  These are
the drives that companies use to rip hundreds of thousands of discs.

If you want to save $100-$150, find a store with a 30 day
moneyback-no-questions policy and go through the cheap-ass-cdrom pile.  Alot of
those $0.15 "cheapest from taiwan" 40x drives actually work really well (just
as many work really crappy).  They won't last as long and they'll be IDE, but
you get what you pay for. :-)

(Generally the cheap drives are hard to predict.  The drive in the box is
often a different relabelled model everytime)

Monty