[paranoia] Problems with PPPD?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 10:13:52 PDT 1999

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Noah Coccaro wrote:

> cdparanoia holds up my ppp session *whether I use the ide or scsi module*
> so, it's not a scsi thing. I wonder if the same thing would happen
> with a different communication device, say ethernet with DHCP.
>
> Erik -- how did you have a similar problem, but not using a modem? What
> are you using that's breaking?
>
> (I'm not sure, but I think cdrecord also stops me from sending data accross
> the modem)

cdrecord blocks during fixation on pretty much everything.  It really
doesn't need to, it can set the drive to return as soon as it starts
fixating and then poll the drive to see if its done, but nobody's bothered
to code it The Right Way(tm) yet.

There's a good chance some CD drives might cause blocking like this doing
some operations -- what drives are you using?

 -- Peter

If a subordinate asks you a pertinent question, look at him as if he had
lost his senses.  When he looks down, paraphrase the question back at him.