[paranoia] bug!

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Aug 22 13:20:42 PDT 1999

> well, I just had a nice crash of my system because of cdparanoia.
>
> cdparanoia got stuck in an uninterruptible sleep
>

> It didn't answer to a kill -9

This means the process is in I/O wait.  The only way that can happen is a
kernel bug or hardware failure (usually a combination of a recoverable hardware
fault tripping a kernel recovery bug) wedging the subsystem the CDROM is on.

What version of cdparanoia, what kernel, what cdrom hardware (ATAPI/SCSI, make,
model), what cdrom driver (ATAPI/SG) do you have hardware/kernel errors logged
in the system log, etc...?

Cdparanoia is like any other application.  It is not capable of bringing down a
machine (unless the machine or Linux has a serious problem).  Unfortunately,
the bug is elsewhere.

Monty