[paranoia-dev] Setting up development environment for cdparanoia

R.L. Horn eastcheap at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 11 03:12:04 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Mikko Nummelin wrote:

>   $HOME/src/test/bin/cdparanoia <arguments>
>
> My changes did not appear, although I am sure, I patched for example the
> only two (?) places in the code, where the messages

> A possible scenario that I have for this problem is, that as I have (of
> course) previously installed CDParanoia to /usr/... area, the
> compilation might hardwire itself to the precompiled libraries rather
> than my altered source code.

You could fiddle with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to get the
dynamic linker to load your own libraries but it's easier just not to link
against them in the first place.

You can build a static executable with 'make debug' (which adds a bunch
of debugging code) or 'make STATIC=TRUE'.

To merely link against the static cdda_* libraries without building a
gigantic executable, edit Makefile and change:

ifeq ($(STATIC),TRUE)
        LIBS = interface/libcdda_interface.a paranoia/libcdda_paranoia.a \
                -static -lm

ifeq ($(STATIC),TRUE)
        LIBS = interface/libcdda_interface.a paranoia/libcdda_paranoia.a \
                -lm

(note that all you do is get rid of the '-static' option).  Then 'make
debug' or 'make STATIC=TRUE'.