[opus] Antw: [EXT] Re: Multithreaded encoding?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Mar 31 06:24:20 UTC 2020

>>> Ralph Giles <giles at thaumas.net> schrieb am 30.03.2020 um 23:17 in Nachricht
<11930_1585603054_5E8261ED_11930_50_1_c110a52d-de95-3bbb-35b2-eca12c79f143 at thaum
s.net>:
> I'm not aware of any other attempts, and there have never been official
> plans. It's difficult to partition input for opus at anything other than
> the track level, because of the way the decoder derives its adaptive
> state from recently-seen audio. I guess cutting together streams with at
> least an 80ms overlap wouldn't glitch too much?

The original requestor did not mention whether the application is real-time or not: For non-real-time (i.e.: batch encoding), on n CPUs, would it work to divide the stream in n parts, encode each of theose (with some non-optimal encoding maybe) and then "join" the parts to one stream?

[...]