[opus] exposing APIs needed by Chromium/WebRTC

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Thu Sep 4 08:52:00 PDT 2014

Hi Paweł,

So my understanding is that in addition to normal encoding and decoding
Chromium reuses the "new" audio classification code that was added in
1.1. The issue is that the audio classifier isn't in any way part of the
API. It's only used to make better encoder side decisions (e.g.
selecting the best mode). At this point, there are no plans to expose it
in the public API because the interface is likely to change in the future.

As far as I can tell, this is not the standard case of taking shortcuts
by using a private API when the public one would have been better.
Rather it's closer to a good example of code reuse where the alternative
would have been to copy-paste code from Opus (which would have been much
worse IMO).

Another thing to consider is that not all Linux distros even ship a
version of Opus that has this classifier in it. Overall, I'm not quite
sure how to improve the situation. It may be that the status quo is the
best solution for now.