[opus] exposing APIs needed by Chromium/WebRTC

Paweł Hajdan, Jr. phajdan.jr at chromium.org
Thu Sep 4 06:07:06 PDT 2014

Hello Opus community,

I'd like to ask you for advice and recommendations.

WebRTC uses Opus, and I noticed
https://webrtc-codereview.appspot.com/5549004 started referring to
currently internal Opus headers. This is possible because for Chromium the
Opus sources are just checked in, so any header can be #included.

I detected this when trying to package Chromium for Linux distributions
with using the system-provided Opus package. Obviously it's not possible to
use the internal headers in that case. Please see
https://code.google.com/p/webrtc/issues/detail?id=3077 for the webrtc bug I
filed about that.

https://webrtc-codereview.appspot.com/5549004/diff/1000001/webrtc/modules/audio_coding/neteq4/audio_classifier.h
(part of the above patch) refers to following internal headers:

#include "third_party/opus/src/celt/celt.h"
#include "third_party/opus/src/src/analysis.h"
#include "third_party/opus/src/src/opus_private.h"

I can see references to e.g. CELTMode in that webrtc file.

Do you have recommendations how WebRTC project could use a public Opus API
for this? Please let me know if you have any questions.

This is my first thread I post to this ML so I apologize for any newbie
mistakes. I've tried to read some docs on Opus homepage and have been
reading this ML for a few days.

By the way, it turns out I participated in an earlier thread
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/opus/2012-October/001809.html and I'm very
grateful for the result, so I'm looking forward to further collaboration
between chromium/webrtc and opus communities.

Paweł