[opus] libopusfile win32 dll (MSVC)

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Mon Feb 17 16:00:52 PST 2014

r webby wrote:
> So, do i need to #define dllimport/export those libopusfile functions
> myself? I could swear Ive seen a mingw dynamic library version, and Im
> pretty sure mingw also requires a .def file and the #defines, so Im
> guessing I've just missed something here.

I don't think you need the #defines, just the .def file. That file takes
the place of declaring things dllexport. Declaring things dllimport
merely avoids calling them through a thunk, but the number of entry
points into libopusfile is small enough that this overhead is
inconsequential. Easier to just avoid the whole mess of trying to decide
if you're compiling the DLL or something using the DLL, etc.

I believe the mingw DLLs are taking these attributes from GCC's
visibility pragmas. For our other libraries, like libtheora, we've used
an explicit .def file and then used that to auto-generate a linker
script on other platforms, but nobody has replicated this build
infrastructure for libopusfile. The pragmas were just an expedient way
to get stuff going.

So the short answer is: you need a .def file, but no one has made one
for you yet.