[opus] OPUS implementation with FPGA

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Sat Oct 5 16:48:12 PDT 2013

Just to make sure, what's the goal here? Is the goal 1) to have a fast
Opus implementation or are you 2) looking for an interesting FPGA
implementation project? If 1), then an FPGA is most likely not necessary
since Opus is not computationally expensive. If 2), then it depends on
the desired size of the project and the desired quality. The simplest
encoder possible is indeed simpler than the decoder (as Ben pointed
out), but a good quality encoder for lower rates (hence SILK mode) is
much more complicated than implementing the full decoder with SILK and CELT.