[opus] opusenc equivalent of lame presets

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Dec 23 11:45:35 PST 2013

Le decadi 30 frimaire, an CCXXII, Carsten Mattner a écrit :
> So you're saying opusenc inputfile outputfile will be as small as
> possible and of as high quality as possible for human ears? So no
> need to up the knobs for listening on good output devices and digital
> connections (cabling)? I remember that for oggenc it was important
> to select the right -q level. For opusenc it seems 96kb avg is chosen
> and on mid-end speakers I didn't notice quality issues.

Opus, like Vorbis, is a lossy codec. That means you will always have to
decide a balance between a very small file with poor quality and a large
file with very good quality. No one can decide that for you, it is a matter
of taste and need; I can not tell you whether you should take an expensive
meal in a five star restaurant or a cheap meal in a random dinner.

What Monty told you is that the other choices, the other configuration
options, are already set to a generic optimum: if you try to change them,
then you will get either a larger file with no better quality or a file with
the same size but poorer quality. It may be necessary for some applications,
but if it was for you, you would know it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George