[opus] opusenc equivalent of lame presets

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 03:23:06 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Monty Montgomery <monty at xiph.org> wrote:
>> No comments?
>
> Mostly no.
>
> There are no presets because the encoder is smart enough to act
> intelligently by default.  The exposed knobs are exposed only for
> those who know they actually need them.  This is pretty much how Xiph
> encoders have always been.
>
> The programming API is a bit different, because there are more use
> cases for streaming.

So you're saying opusenc inputfile outputfile will be as small as
possible and of as high quality as possible for human ears? So no
need to up the knobs for listening on good output devices and digital
connections (cabling)? I remember that for oggenc it was important
to select the right -q level. For opusenc it seems 96kb avg is chosen
and on mid-end speakers I didn't notice quality issues.