[ogg-dev] Album art - requirements

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 06:40:27 PDT 2008

On 10/13/08, ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com <ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The outcome was unconclusive, and kind
> of settled on the existing practice of adding a uuencoded image
> in a Vorbis comment, or similar.

COVERART's the name.  There's at least one known software to be using it.

> Kate streams can include PNG images, so are another possibility,
> but the problem of telling a client what each image is remains.

A good proposal, except for the fact most album art is JPEG.  Not
forgetting either that, semantically, it's pretty bizarre to have
album art in a text format.

Not that it's better to embed JPEG's in a text tag in Vorbis, but
since it's already being employed in the wild I for one would rather
embrace what works for that niche market than creating a whole new
solution that may just not be what they want.

-Ivo