[ogg-dev] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Peer review draft for the new media types/file extensions

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:41:53 PDT 2007

On 24/09/2007, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I missed Ian's reply somehow.
>
> I decided to go with MAY requirement in "audio/ogg", because most
> files out there like Vorbis and Speex are of a single stream, and
> explicity requiring that implementations SHOULD support multiplexed
> streams in "audio/ogg" did not seem right to me, as SHOULD is a strong
> requirement.  MAY seemed to fit best in the audio/ogg case.
> "video/ogg", however, SHOULD support multiplexed streams, as most
> video files have at least one visual and audio track.

I can understand the rationale you give for this; my quoting was just
to indicate I was referring to both those sections rather than a
quibble with the MAY vs SHOULD for audio vs video.  The point I
wanted to bring up was the MAY ignore unrecognised stream
types, which I understood to be a future proofing mechanism.

> I still need to create the whole references section.  Geez.

It is much appreciated.  (Though that's not much consolation.)

--
imalone