[ogg-dev] metadata on the wiki

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue Sep 11 20:10:12 PDT 2007

On 12/09/2007, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> So wiki discussion on the new metadata format
> is ongoing.  I'd like to move some things about
> a bit.

Hi Ian,

I find the existing Metadata page a bit waffly, and I think we could
improve it to be more constructive.

Perhaps it should simply give a very brief introduction to how we
approach metadata, and links to the various wiki pages relating to the
various mechanisms and proposals.

It seems that what we are working towards is a collection of mutually
supportive mechanisms for storing metadata, rather than attempting
some kind of "kitchen sink" solution. So, my concern is that we should
 make that clear rather than giving the impression that the various
"proposed solutions" are competing against each other.

In hindsight, each of us seems to be concentrating on different
aspects of "metadata", and encouraging co-operation based on loose
coupling might be a good way forward.

As an example, Ogg Skeleton and CMML were designed (after some trial
and error) to be independent, ie. any Ogg stream can happily include
only one or both depending on need, and without any expectation of
overriding VorbisComment.

New formats such as MDMF which fill a given need can be designed to
usefully work alongside these existing mechanisms, and the scope of
the Metadata wilki page should be to clarify the overall design.

cheers,

Conrad.