[ogg-dev] Feedback on XML metadata namespace

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Mon Sep 10 18:43:28 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 11. September 2007 02:54:19 David K. Gasaway wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2007 at 2:17, Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> (BTW, you replied to me personally .. just in case that wasn't
> intentional)

Oh yes, sorry about that.

> > On Tuesday 11. September 2007 02:11:01 David K. Gasaway wrote:
> > > This things are easily solved with vorbis comments ... Provided you
> > > eschew the specific instrument(s) performed.  Obviously, Daniel's
> > > format has that going for it.
> >
> > Not only what instrument. But the `role´ that person or organisation
> > had in the production. Not everyone involved in the production of a
> > song is `an artist´.
>
> Right. So you have tags PERFORMER, COMPOSER, CONDUCTOR, LYRICIST,
> ARRANGER, etc. Dividing PERFORMER into flautist, percussionist, etc.
> *would* be a royal pain with vorbis comments - that's what I was
> referring to.

That is also part of the reason why I am trying to push for a development of
a replacement for Vorbis comments. Apparently I am not doing so well, but
the idea seams to be sinking in to the list now.

It COULD be done with semicolon separated values or parentheses. Like this:
Preformer=Apophis;drummer

However this dirty parch really is not scalable. It would also leave the
question about rights, date, labels, URI (URLs for artist/label websites),
and such unresolved.
--
Daniel Aleksandersen