[ogg-dev] ogg-dev] The use for an XML based metadata format

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Mon Sep 10 08:35:47 PDT 2007

On Monday 10. September 2007 02:59:35 Martin Leese wrote:
> Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com> wrote:
> > Since the URI attribute can describe locations (URLs), the format could
> > work as a RDF document; being an external resource describing external
> > content. But of course the metadata would be in the Ogg
> > stream-container-thingy (...somehow. help. input?) in the case of the
> > Ogg format.
>
> As this would be XML, I assumed it would be in
> a separate Ogg stream as per the "Metadata"
> proposal at:
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Metadata

Yes. That would probably work the best.

> I also puzzle why you want to include in it a
> top-level description of the Ogg streams
> present in the container.  I had thought that
> was what Ogg Skeleton was for. I can see the
> point of including Artist, Rights, etc.

Ogg Seketon and all of these formats are intended to describe technical
aspects of the resources in the stream. What I call metadata is information
about the resource intended for media management (Amarok, ...) and player
(VLC, ...) software.
--
Daniel Aleksandersen