[ogg-dev] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Problem in devloping basic ogg streaming player for windows-Please help

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 10:50:26 PDT 2006

Tapesh Goyal wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a newbie and devloping a basic ogg player. I have taken help from this
> turorial:
> http://www.devmaster.net/articles/openal-tutorials/lesson8.php
> Thanks to jesse.
>
> It is using openAL and ogg sdk. I am able to compile and execute this
> sample
> perfactly fine. And ogg file on disk is playing perfactly fine. This
> tutorial is using 2 buffers for streaming.
>
> My requirement is to play file through URL like
> http://mp3stream.wfmu.org:8008/wfmu.ogg. But when I am trying to do that
> fopen is failing in following code.
> if(!(oggFile = fopen(path.c_str(), "rb")))
>        throw string("Could not open Ogg file.");
>
> As fopen gives handel for files which are on disk only.
>
> So can anybody help me How to play a file using URL in windows?  Any code
> snippet/tutorial would be highly appriciated .
> Is this tutorial works fine to play ogg streams through URL ?

If you have a .Net or Mono environment you may want to look at the
WebRequest class and derivatives.  I haven't used this myself,
but I think you can get the resource as a stream.
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.webrequest.aspx>
Otherwise you need to find a C or C++ library that can retrieve files
over http.

--
imalone