[ogg-dev] oggfile, skeleton and vorbis tools

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 04:54:43 PST 2006

On 3/10/06, illiminable <ogg at illiminable.com> wrote:

> [...]

Apologies, I wasn't clear enough, certainly the DirectShow filters, vlc,
xine etc. are 'like a fully capable oggfile' in this respect.  What I meant
was versus a single codec aimed API like vorbisfile which is meant to
allow applications to add support for Ogg/Vorbis simply.  With the
increasing number of media frameworks available it will eventually be
obsolete, Oggfile or no Oggfile.

And mentioning player support; it's in the context that the vorbisfile API
cant really communicate this with the player very well.

> Also, as of 0.70 the demuxer and codecs are completely decoupled. In other
> words, it's possible for a third party to add a new stream, implement the
> required interfaces and distribute a directshow decode filter, and it will
> just work without any changes needed from my end.

Nice feature.

> I'd say at this stage, it's probably fine for vorbisfile to dump anything
> non-vorbis, and play only the first vorbis stream it sees, ignoring the
> rest. Making it much more complicated than that you might as well implement
> a fully functional oggfile.

That's the conclusion I came to; one thing at a time.

--
imalone