[ogg-dev] oggfile, skeleton and vorbis tools

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Fri Mar 10 02:21:07 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Malone" <ibmalone at gmail.com>
To: "ogg-dev" <ogg-dev at xiph.org>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [ogg-dev] oggfile, skeleton and vorbis tools

>> This is something we might want to extend skeleton to support, i know
>> we've talked about this kind of thing before. So that skeleton can
>> provide some kind of mapping as to how the various streams relate to each
>> other.
>>

> You need player support to be able to collect the options and present
> them to the user.  Without skeleton and something like a fully capable
> oggfile you can't do it, as you've pointed out you can mix Speex and
> Vorbis. (I recently, accidently, had a file which contained mp3 and
> Vorbis.  Obviously no Xiph tool will ever handle or produce that.)  So,
> with the aim that it's intended for simple audio only players (probably
> ones already using it, or operating with limited resources), what
> should vorbisfile be capable of?

Certainly player support is needed, and there needs to be someway to get
information about track correlation, probably skeleton. From my projects
perspective, oggfile is not really required. Between directshow's framework
and my filters, i've already implemented all the capability oggfile might
offer, and i'd say the same goes for gstreamer and vlc. I believe my
directshow filters would be fine with ogm/mp3+vorbis and i'm fairly sure vlc
would be fine with it.

My filters default operation is to mix all streams and play simultaneously,
though other directshow filters (ie morgan stream switcher) can provide
stream switching (1 of n), though i will eventually build that in. VLC on
the other hand defaults to play one and let you choose 1 of n.

Also, as of 0.70 the demuxer and codecs are completely decoupled. In other
words, it's possible for a third party to add a new stream, implement the
required interfaces and distribute a directshow decode filter, and it will
just work without any changes needed from my end.

I'd say at this stage, it's probably fine for vorbisfile to dump anything
non-vorbis, and play only the first vorbis stream it sees, ignoring the
rest. Making it much more complicated than that you might as well implement
a fully functional oggfile.

Zen.