[ogg-dev] Re: [Theora-dev] Dropped / Duplicate Frames

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Mar 11 22:21:25 PST 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 01:56:30AM +0000, Philip Heron wrote:

> > Or you could help beta test libogg2 which passes you a refcounted
> > handle instead. :)
>
> That would be handy! I've not seem anything on libogg2, would using it
> require much work?

I was being a little flip. It's more like alpha testing. libthera has
been ported to libogg2 (at least as it stood a couple of years ago),
just compile with -DLIBOGG2. However, libvorbis needs porting if you
want to use it as well.

There are iirc two code bases. Monty's original:

  http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/ogg2/

and a branch developed by Arc Riley:

  http://svn.xiph.org/branches/ogg2-arc/

Well, three, really. The Tremor fixed-point vorbis decoder
implementation includes another version internally.

So if you want to download and build one of both of those and
try to get theora and your application working with it, we
could definitely use some feedback on the design. However, it's
not necessarily the fastest way to finishing your application.
libogg1 is quite mature at this point.

There hasn't been active work on libogg2 in over a year, but Monty
has been making noises about picking up development again.

I believe the major goals were, not necessarily in order:

1. clean up memory ownership and other API glitches
2. provide zero-copy page and packet access to reduce
   memory footprint and bandwidth for embedded applications
3. provide dovetailed support for monty's idea for a multimedia
   framework.

Maybe someone else can comment if I'm missed (or misstated) something.

Cheers,
 -r