[ogg-dev] oggfile, skeleton and vorbis tools

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Mar 7 09:10:57 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:36:38PM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> I assume what this all means is there's no desire for any kind of stop-
> gap libvorbisfile that does the "vorbis out of any otherwise valid Ogg
> stream"[1], and that anything along these lines will wait until Oggfile.

Well, vorbis-only vorbisfile is what we're talking about.  What Sylvia
mentioned was that we need to decide what to do if there's more than
one concurrent Vorbis stream but we're still talking about the
Vorbis-only case.

> My two further questions are then:
>
> 1.  What does this mean for players that currently use libvorbisfile
>     for Vorbis support (I imagine Oggfile's api will necessarily be
>     different)?

Different, yes, although mostly by way of being more expansive.

> 2.  What happens to vorbiscomment/vcedit when Oggfile comes along,
>     will they be replaced by something more tightly integrated with
>     Oggfile?

Possibly/probably.

> [1] The motivation for this would be to allow current players to play
> Annodexed Ogg Vorbis without noticing.

Yes, there are a few applications that boild down to that (eg, playing
only the audio from an A/V file in general).

Monty