[ogg-dev] oggfile, skeleton and vorbis tools

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue Mar 7 21:41:00 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:10:57PM -0500, Monty wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:36:38PM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> > I assume what this all means is there's no desire for any kind of stop-
> > gap libvorbisfile that does the "vorbis out of any otherwise valid Ogg
> > stream"[1], and that anything along these lines will wait until Oggfile.
>
> Well, vorbis-only vorbisfile is what we're talking about.  What Sylvia
> mentioned was that we need to decide what to do if there's more than
> one concurrent Vorbis stream but we're still talking about the
> Vorbis-only case.
>
> > [1] The motivation for this would be to allow current players to play
> > Annodexed Ogg Vorbis without noticing.
>
> Yes, there are a few applications that boild down to that (eg, playing
> only the audio from an A/V file in general).

Monty,

(afaik) Ian is working towards patching libvorbisfile to read the first
vorbis logical bitstream in an Ogg file, eg. to allow playing just the
audio from a theora+vorbis file.

ie. libvorbisfile continues to handle vorbis only, the change in behaviour
is that it would no longer fail on files which are not vorbis-only.

Do you have anything against this?

Conrad.