[ogg-dev] oggPCM for general data

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 01:26:15 PST 2006

Bill Johnson wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am building a data collection system that will ultimately have 28
> channels
> and multi-rates up to 2 M/sec. I need some sort of lossless  format framing
> and header system to transfer the data to a desktop PC over USB. Rather
> than
> reinvent, I looked around to see what others are using and for existing
> tools for testing. Surprisingly, I found few general purpose data formats
> that can handle many channels and high multi-rate data. However, ogg and
> oggPCM looks like a good fit. I have some questions getting started.
>   Is the oggPCM codec just header definition on a web page? Is anyone using
> it? I have not found the header file yet, does it exist?
>   Has anyone built libogg and/or liboggz using a cross compiler such as the
> arm-elf GNU port?
>   I am looking at using the oggz wrapper function due to the excellent
> documentation and examples. The configure-make works great on the desktop
> but I don't know if it could be easily switched over for an embedded
> target.
> oggFLAC had a makefile.lite that looked geared toward embedded development
> but the FLAC library size was HUGE, plus other limits. I am hoping to fit
> executable on 128K of FLASH memory.
>   Thanks for any advice.
> +BillJ

Yes, it sounds like FLAC isn't what you want, especially as it's
geared to audio compression and mightn't cope well with other data.
OggPCM files do exist,
<http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/ogg-dev/2006-February/000248.html>
That message also suggests Illiminable's DirectShow filters work
with oggPCM too, so there'll be code somewhere to produce the header,
but I don't think there's a Xiph implementation if that's what you're
looking for.

Don't know about the cross-compiling/embedded aspect, sorry.

www.xiph.org front page, and possibly a static .html so people aren't
put off by the fact they're looking at a wiki />

--
imalone