[Icecast] Education - 1, 000s, 100, 000's, Millions of listeners. (What kind of infrastructure)

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Wed Mar 20 17:55:25 UTC 2024

Good morning,

On Wed, 2024-03-20 at 13:16 -0400, Wayne Barron wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> This is something I am interested in learning more about.
> Let's say you have an audience of (what is in the subject line.)
> What kind of infrastructure do you need for Icecast?
>
> I asked a similar question about the liquidsoap group.
>
> In Windows and Linux web servers, we can create a forest for our web
> servers. Send traffic to different servers to even the workload.
>
> Can we do something like this with the Icecast servers?
> (or)
> Will we have to install new VMs, add the heavy stations on that one,
> and send the new traffic there?

Generally you can just run any number of servers in a cluster. Often
with a single or double layer master-slave setup (to also add
redundancy on the source side).

Most of the time the network is the bottle neck. For example for 10k
listeners at 112kbit/s you need something between 1.5Gbit/s and
2.5Gbit/s of network connectivity.

You also want to take into account that at times you want to maintain
your cluster. Or you might also be hit by some bad luck and some part
of your cluster goes down.

You may also want to spread your load geographically.

It's not magic but there is a bit to consider.

A while ago we actually had two presentations on this topic. One on
small setups with less than 30k simultaneous listeners and one for
setups with more.

If there is interest from a few people I would be happy to host an open
discussion or something.

Hope that helps to give you an initial overview.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephone:           +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015