[Icecast] currently playing

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Feb 24 14:09:28 UTC 2022

On Feb 24, 2022, at 06:44, Philipp Schafft <phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net> wrote:

> Please note that this is only true for legacy streams that do not
> support metadata (MP3 and AAC). For everything else Icecast uses the
> metadata that is part of the used format as by said format's
> specification.
>
> Access control restrictions/security mechanisms may apply depending on
> your version of Icecast and/or configuration.

One access control restriction in particular that I have seen bite people repeatedly here: the system originating these metadata updates must have the same originating IP address (from the standpoint of Icecast) as the audio source client/encoder. You can often ensure this by locating the audio encoder and the metadata-originating system behind the same NAT firewall. I agree with others though that preferred and best practice is always to feed metadata via the source client.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |