[Icecast] making sense of the stats

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 05:18:05 UTC 2020

Hi Justin,

/*  Aren't listeners also clients?*/

No.

Icecast xml is a bit daunting.

There are two kinds of connections.

Listener and Client

Client:...

Connections from your source which may be darkice, BUTT, or some other
encoder.

You actually need plenty of these. I set mine to 20 when I have 4 services.

One client may have several connections. I assume there is some
handshaking and there may be metadata as well.

Listener:...

Connections from anyone using the mount address which may be a listener
or a relay.

The same listener can connect more than once. The reconnect may be
because of a gap the listener does not know about because of the buffer,
or store o audio waiting to be played.

On ADSL I limit this number to 5 and on Fibre I limit this to 10. Your
ISP will choke the upload bandwidth especially mp3. I use AAC+ which has
a smaller data size for the same quality, it's also not on the choke list.

If you plan on having more listeners than 5 or so then you need a
Streaming Service who may take your stream and feed it to 100,200 or
some larger number of listeners for $xx.95 a month. Most of these are
mp3 only.

hope this helps

regards

Robert

On 26/03/20 2:24 pm, webmaster at berean-biblechurch.org wrote:

> I can't make sense of the connection stats on the admin page. We have
> one source and one mountpoint.
>
> What is the difference between /client_connections/ and /clients/ and
> /connection/s?  How can they be so different in value?  Same questions
> for /listener_connections/ and /listeners/?  The connections values
> seem high for only 5 listeners and one admin.
>
> Here is a snapshot of the admin page a few minutes after the server
> was started and mountpoint was made available:
>
>             client_connections
>             18
>
>             clients
>             7
>
>             connections
>             24
>
>             file_connections
>             0
>
>             listener_connections
>             17
>
>             listeners
>             5
>
>             source_client_connections
>             1
>
>             source_relay_connections
>             0
>
>             source_total_connections
>             1
>
>             sources
>             1
>
>             stats
>             0
>
>             stats_connections
>             0
>
>      Mountpoint /live.mp3
>               listener_peak
>               6
>
>               listeners
>               5
>
>               max_listeners
>               unlimited
>
> After more people started to connect, the admin #s got even more whacky.
>
> Then, I have the max clients set to 25, yet the mountpoint says
> 'unlimited' listeners.  Why the difference here?  Aren't listeners
> also clients?
>
> <limits>
>   <clients>25</clients>
>   <sources>1</sources>