[Icecast] multiple instances?

wilderzone.radio.2 wilderzone.radio.2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 08:28:14 UTC 2019

Hello, Thomas_B._Rücker,

>> I was wondering if it is at all possible to run more than one instance of icecast? I tried installing a 2nd instance of icecast (folder name icecast2) and adjusted the xml files to accommodate a 2nd port but it doesn't seem to be working.
>

>Yes it's possible, but in most cases it is not necessary.
>
>What is the use case that you are trying to address? Icecast is well
>suited to running multiple streams in parallel and offers complex
>configuration options for many use cases.

Well the "case" or as others would call it "use"  is that one stream is strictly rock format, the other stream is blues format - I prefer to keep the 2 as separate streams.

So far, I've not been able to get to see a configuration with more than one stream configuration. I'm hoping somewhere someone has an example file that I can examine. (hopefully with some comments in the file to denote what the heck is going on)

>> I should add that outside of port 8080 (the apparent default), icecast has failed to work for me. (I am quite well aquainted with forwarding ports on routers). I am not sure WHY it doesn't work for me on other ports though unless this is a hard coded issue.
>
>That can be an operating system security issue. Red Hat, including
>CentOS and Fedora can behave like that if you have SELinux enabled and
>didn't change it to allow for it. Also Windows Firewall can cause such
>problems.

I've always considered "Windows firewall" to be their worst attempt at security since they initially bought QDOS back in the late 80's. It seems with every "advance" of windows versions, the functionality is reduced.

>In general and for production use, I'd recommend to run Icecast on port
>80 (and 443 for HTTPS). I've seen plenty of "professional" servers where
>there is no HTTP server active on port 80 and Icecast runs on 8000 or
>some other port.

I have websites on 80 so 80 is totally out of the question.

Best regards.

Foxxe
wilderzone.radio.2 at gmail.com
  thewilderzone.sytes.net