[Icecast] multiple instances?

Thomas B. Rücker thomas at ruecker.fi
Mon Sep 9 07:31:55 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 9/9/19 7:14 AM, wilderzone.radio.2 wrote:
> I was wondering if it is at all possible to run more than one instance of icecast? I tried installing a 2nd instance of icecast (folder name icecast2) and adjusted the xml files to accommodate a 2nd port but it doesn't seem to be working.

Yes it's possible, but in most cases it is not necessary.

What is the use case that you are trying to address? Icecast is well
suited to running multiple streams in parallel and offers complex
configuration options for many use cases.

> I should add that outside of port 8080 (the apparent default), icecast has failed to work for me. (I am quite well aquainted with forwarding ports on routers). I am not sure WHY it doesn't work for me on other ports though unless this is a hard coded issue.

That can be an operating system security issue. Red Hat, including
CentOS and Fedora can behave like that if you have SELinux enabled and
didn't change it to allow for it. Also Windows Firewall can cause such
problems.

In general and for production use, I'd recommend to run Icecast on port
80 (and 443 for HTTPS). I've seen plenty of "professional" servers where
there is no HTTP server active on port 80 and Icecast runs on 8000 or
some other port.

TBR