[Icecast] Source client with HTTP PUT

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Tue May 7 07:58:12 UTC 2019

Good morning,

On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 14:54 -0400, Fred Gleason wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-05-04 at 17:05 +0000, Philipp Schafft wrote:
> > Which exact open tickets do you refer to with "certain bits"? Would
> > be
> > happy to look into them with you. Also feel free to offer some
> > sponsoring to implement them.
>
> AAC+ support for starters. It was lack of this specific feature that
> compelled me to roll my own [Ice|Shout]Cast client support.

It's true there is no AAC+ support in mainstream libshout. However there
are several patches and patched versions around. Both "free software"
and as part of not so free projects.

In any case this is a top level feature of libshout and not related to
the transport. So you would still use a HTTP library if you would want
to implement something totally new.

> >  Considering your signature it looks like
> > you're in the position to do so and therefore not only get the "bits"
> > you need implemented but also help others this way.
> > Looking forward to your mail regarding this!
>
> Historically, there appears to have been significant reluctance on the
> part of the libshout maintainers to adopt this feature. See, for
> example:
>
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2013-June/002202.html
>
> However, if the maintainers are now willing to accept a PR that adds
> AAC+ support, I would be glad to submit such.

It's very simple: AAC* is a legal mess, not a very good codec, hardly
adds any value to radio streaming, and far off the mission of the
project. There is simply no reason why someone should work on it in his
free time. As simple as that. We focus on making high quality products
with modern technology that looking into the future. Not into the past.

So, my question is still: What is the ticket number?

Please also note that unsolicited pull requests are likely rejected just
because they often miss some important point that could have been known
when talking to us first. What comes to mind in this case is e.g. the
migration of libshout to use libigloo.

Looking forward to read the ticket,
with best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015