[Icecast] Icecast multi proc

Philipp Schafft phschafft at de.loewenfelsen.net
Fri Mar 15 12:57:49 UTC 2019

Good Afternoon,

On Wed, 2019-03-06 at 21:29 +0100, Michel van Dop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use Icecast 2.4.4 on debian 9 and Centos 7.  How can we see if
> Icecast use multicores?

The simple answer:
        It does.

The slightly longer answer:
        Icecast uses one thread per source plus some auxiliary threads.
        You much more likely run out of network connection than CPU
        power.
        Distributing threads to CPUs and their cores is in the domain of
        the operating system.

Note to the list:
        Icecast's threading model is irrelevant for most stations, that
        is stations with less than, let's say, 10k concurrent listeners.
        If you have more listeners you should seek the help of a
        professional anyway.

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer)
Telephon: +49.3535 490 17 92

Löwenfelsen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)     Registration number:
Bickinger Straße 21                     HRB 12308 CB
04916 Herzberg (Elster)                 VATIN/USt-ID:
Germany                                 DE305133015