[Icecast] Running version 2.5 beta as a service

Thomas B. Rücker thomas at ruecker.fi
Tue Feb 12 13:23:52 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 2/12/19 12:51 PM, Damian wrote:
> Hi and thanks for the replies.
>
> Thomas, is the second option you mention an installation of the daemon
> necessary for running as a service?
> I have already installed the icecast 2.4.99 from source using
> http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/icecast/icecast-2.5-beta2.tar.gz at
> icecast.org <http://icecast.org> and have built it using …

I guess I was too terse in my explanation. See below.

> ./configure
> make
> make install.
>
> … so I got a little confused by your suggestions.
>

> Dave, in response to your post, /etc/init.d/icecast2 and
> /etc/default/icecast2 are visible when installing icecast using the
> apt packet manager on Debian.
> When installing from source however, I don’t see these

Yes and that's what I actually meant. Install the latest beta(!) version
from our repositories and then replace the binary with what you built
from source. If necessary also webroot and adminroot contents. You could
also for style points align the PREFIX with the one from the package and
just make install over things.

There are many ways to get to a usable development setup.

Please note that this is starting to outgrow the basic scope of this
mailing list. If you want to run latest git and provide feedback and
patches, then the icecast-dev mailing list is better suited.

Cheers,

Thomas